And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ... 2 Nephi 25:26

Sunday 24 August 2014

Announcements & Lesson - 24 August 2014

Announcements:

Tomorrow we have our ward fun day activity.  This will begin at the Chapel at 10.30am, please bring a picnic for your family.  Ice cream will be provided :)

On Tuesday September 9th from 6-8pm there will a Europe Area sisters meeting to which all sisters 12+ are invited.  There will be refreshments afterwards.  Please invite the sisters you visit teach.  This will take the place of the YW activity that evening.

Kim Spencer has a friend who has a single divan bed with mattress, free to anyone who would like it.  Please speak to Kim if this is of use to you.

Lesson:

What a wonderful lesson we had today with Sister Ashlea Sousa, who taught from Elder Nelson's April Conference talk - Let Your Faith Show. 

The talk can be seen HERE.

Elder Nelson shared the following story:  "On a recent flight, our pilot announced that we would encounter turbulence during our descent and that all passengers must fasten their seat belts securely.  Sure enough, turbulence came.  It was really rough.  Across the aisle and a couple of rows behind me, a terrified woman panicked.  With each frightening drop and jarring bump, she screamed loudly.  Her husband tried to comfort her but to no avail.  Her hysterical shouts persisted until we passed through that zone of turbulence to a safe landing.  During her period of anxiety, I felt sorry for her.  Because faith is the antidote for fear, I silently wished that I could have strengthened her faith.  Later as passengers were leaving the aircraft this woman's husband spoke to me.  He said 'I'm sorry my wife was so terrified.  The only way I could comfort her was to tell her that Elder Nelson is on this flight, so you don't need to worry.

"I'm not sure my presence on the flight should have given her any comfort, but I will say that one of the realities of mortal life is that our faith will be tested and challenged."

And that is one thing we can all be sure of - our faith will be tried whilst here on earth.  It may not happen in a life and death situation but the world we live in can threaten all we hold dear and believe if we do not consistently live our lives with faith.  We discussed it being an action word, that the Lord requires to do something, to faithfully act out our lives.

Ashlea shared that the word religion means 'to tie back' to God and posed the question we could all consider 'Are we securely tied to God?' or in life do we become tempted to tie ourselves to something else more worldly, money, power, popularity.

We looked at how we do live with faith in our lives, and Ashlea had each sister share one thing they had done that week which showed their faith....these were the responses:


* Remembering I am a Latter Day Saint and choosing to pray and read the scriptures.
* Helped a friend by giving hope
* I told the exercise class that I would be away for two weeks, they assumed it was a holiday but I told them I would be serving in the temple.
* Missionary Work - Trying to help people that want to know about the gospel.  And praying to the Lord for help with my finances
* Every day I pray for faith to cope with the days events - and it works!
* I had some spare money left this week and felt it would be well spent buying things from the LDS site to help my children learn and understand the Lord's way. I have faith in these things and in the lord to show me how to teach them.
* Visit to hospital and faith to follow their counsel
* Showing patience in the Lord's timing
* Having family scripture time even when the children were pushing each and every button!
* Gospel conversations at work
* Faith shown by asking the Lord for help in the daily life activities, and believed to receive help.
* Standing up for my standards regarding the Word of Wisdom and telling others why I live those standards
* Faith that God would answer my prayers to help me have strength for the day and to help me at work through the spirit to make the right decisions and say the right things.

We then reviewed Isaiah 5:20 and discussed how the world can confuse us if we are not truly tied to the Lord, it can give very convincing arguments about what is right and wrong...Just as Ashlea did as she said we could have grapes and then produced a tub of strawberries, trying to convince us to believe her they really were grapes!  We talked about the dangers of allowing our faith to lessen and what we can do to try and keep strong and close to the Lord. 

We ended the lesson by watching a beautiful video...Faith to move mountains.

As you watch this Sisters, think about your own faith, what will you do to strengthen it?  How will you build on the faith you now have to help protect not only yourselves but your families also?

Faith to Move Mountains

As Elder Nelson stated: "I please with you my brothers and sisters, Day after day, on your path toward your eternal destiny, increase your faith. Proclaim your faith!  Let your faith show."

No comments:

Post a Comment